[Samba] samba dlz. bind9 nslookup is wrong

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Aug 5 13:48:03 UTC 2019

not my tekst; source : https://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/50843/what-are-the-reasons-for-seeing-an-incomplete-arp

A successful ARP resolution is required for two IPv4 nodes to communicate on a common layer-2 segment (usually Ethernet).

Incomplete ARP requests have two basic reasons.

The ARP request has not been answered.
Either the destination node hasn't received the ARP request or its response hasn't been received. The destination node may be down.

The source node's network mask is not configured correctly. The source node considers all destinations within its own subnet local or on-link: it expects to be able to talk to them directly over its Ethernet interface, without the help of a gateway router.

When e.g. a node within the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet is incorrectly set up with 192.168.0.10/16 it considers a destination like 192.168.16.1 local. It will not try to use a gateway but attempt a direct ARP which stays incomplete.
Whether the source or the destination/next hop node is a router, multi-layer switch or end node doesn't matter

So im expecting your saying the "host" is down. Because that ip is down.

ip -s -s neigh flush all
arp -n

and its gone.

Restart nscd if running.