[Samba] Group Permissions Not Working

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Apr 30 17:25:29 UTC 2019

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 16:52:20 +0000
"Banks, David (db2d)" <db2d at virginia.edu> wrote:

> Rowland,
>
> I can certainly give it a try but I was under the impression that
> SSSD was the more robust of the two.

Where did you get that idea from ?
Winbind is as robust as sssd, it must be, sssd uses a Samba lib. There
is very little that sssd does, that winbind cannot, also you only have
one conf file to configure.

> Also, the authentication seems
> to working — user can access the server and the logs list successful
> authentication — just the samba server running as the user can’t get
> to the folder unless posix permissions are wide open.

I can try to help you to fix your problem, but not if you continue
using sssd, it has been years since I used it, ainly because I relised
I did not need it.

Whilst you are using sssd, it is doing your authentication and winbind
isn't.

Rowland