[Samba] Windows clients require reboot once a day in order to access mapped drives

Mason Schmitt mason at ftlcomputing.com
Mon Apr 29 20:01:54 UTC 2019

> > I have another file server, in a different domain, with a nearly
> > identical smb.conf to this one, which does not have an entry for "smb
> > encrypt". According to the man page, this means that it will have
> > "smb encrypt = default".  W10 clients are not able to connect to
> > shares, by name, on this file server,  after having been idle
> > overnight.  This is the same behaviour that I was seeing in the other
> > environment where I recently set "smb encrypt = off".  I think this
> > is fairly clear evidence that there is a bug (either with the W10
> > client or with the samba file server).  Again, I'm happy to file a
> > bug report with samba's bug tracker if you think this is the best
> > course of action.
>
> The problem is, if it is a bug, where is it ?
>
> Do you have any earlier versions of Windows ?
> If so, does connecting from them work without setting 'smb encrypt' ?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that, rather than just implying it.  I do
have windows 7 clients on both networks and in both environments the win7
clients have never exhibited this behaviour.

Given that the workaround to the problem is disabling encryption in
smb.conf, Win7 clients don't support encrypted SMB connections and Win10
clients do support encrypted connections, it would seem there is some issue
with re-connecting domain authenticated SMB sessions that are using
encryption.  As you can see, looking back in this thread, the packet
capture shows that the client is not attempting to re-authenticate to the
domain.  I just don't know if that's because the client isn't receiving
something it expects from the server, or whether the client just isn't
behaving according to the protocol spec.

> Is there anything in the windows logs when the win 10 computers cannot
> connect?

There is nothing in the log that jumps out at me.  I just spent the last
1/2hr filtering out cruft and found nothing that seemed odd.  That doesn't
mean Windows isn't reporting anything, but if it is, I couldn't find it.

--
Mason