[Samba] Windows clients require reboot once a day in order to access mapped drives

Mason Schmitt mason at ftlcomputing.com
Mon Apr 29 18:44:22 UTC 2019

> > It looks like the issue, with W10 clients needing to reboot each
> > morning to regain access to samba mapped drives, has been worked
> > around with a single smb.conf change.
> >
> > The only change I made (which I did only to help with troubleshooting
> > via packet capture) was as follows:
> > OLD - smb encrypt = desired
> > NEW - smb encrypt = off
>
> Can you try commenting out the line, this should then (by my reading)
> allow negotiation of encryption.

I have another file server, in a different domain, with a nearly identical
smb.conf to this one, which does not have an entry for "smb encrypt".
According to the man page, this means that it will have "smb encrypt =
default".  W10 clients are not able to connect to shares, by name, on this
file server,  after having been idle overnight.  This is the same behaviour
that I was seeing in the other environment where I recently set "smb
encrypt = off".  I think this is fairly clear evidence that there is a bug
(either with the W10 client or with the samba file server).  Again, I'm
happy to file a bug report with samba's bug tracker if you think this is
the best course of action.

--
Mason