[Samba] NTP/Chrony + samba-AD-DC

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Apr 26 08:58:19 UTC 2019

Hai Rowland and all happy campers on the samba list ofcourse ;-)

Can you/someone verify this?

Just read it. no need to setup ubuntu.
I think its ok, you see what i mean, below the 2x winbind part in apparmor.

(samba -b the needed part)
   WINBINDD_SOCKET_DIR: /var/run/samba/winbindd
   NTP_SIGND_SOCKET_DIR: /var/lib/samba/ntp_signd

After some checking i notice (posible) problems in both packages.
And take note of how i make this change.!

The NTP part (apt install ntp)
And Yes, we have an apparmor bug in NTPD and Chrony.

 # samba4 ntp signing socket
  /{,var/}run/samba/ntp_signd/socket rw,	<< incorrect path.

  # samba4 winbindd pipe
  /run/samba/winbindd/pipe rw,	< can better.. But not wrong.

For Chrony. (apt install chrony)
  # To sign replies to MS-SNTP clients by the smbd daemon
  /var/lib/samba/ntp_signd r,
  /var/lib/samba/ntp_signd/{,*} rw,

Thats missing the winbindd pipe part.

Im only questioning, /var/lib/samba/winbindd_privileged/ and/or /var/run/samba/winbindd/pipe ?
Since im not sure here, i've added the winbindd_privileged also.

I suggest this, should be easy and quick fix.
First we enble the LOCAL file to include our personal settings.

# enable the local file part for ntpd.
sed -i 's[#include <local/usr.sbin.ntpd>[include <local/usr.sbin.ntpd>[g' /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.ntpd

# NTPD fix.
echo "
  # To sign replies to MS-SNTP clients by the smbd daemon /var/lib/samba
  /var/lib/samba/ntp_signd r,
  /var/lib/samba/ntp_signd/{,*} rw,

  # samba4 winbindd pipe
  /{,var/}run/samba/winbindd r,
  /{,var/}run/samba/winbindd/pipe rw,

  # samba4 winbindd privileged pipe ? Needed?
  /var/lib/samba/winbindd r,
  /var/lib/samba/winbindd/pipe rw,

" >> /etc/apparmor.d/local/usr.sbin.ntpd

# Chrony fix
sed -i 's[#include <local/usr.sbin.chronyd>[include <local/usr.sbin.chronyd>[g' /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.chronyd
echo "
  # To sign replies to MS-SNTP clients by the smbd daemon /var/lib/samba
  /var/lib/samba/ntp_signd r,
  /var/lib/samba/ntp_signd/{,*} rw,

  # samba4 winbindd pipe
  /{,var/}run/samba/winbindd r,
  /{,var/}run/samba/winbindd/pipe rw,

  # samba4 winbindd privileged pipe ? Needed?
  /var/lib/samba/winbindd r,
  /var/lib/samba/winbindd/pipe rw,

" >> /etc/apparmor.d/local/usr.sbin.chronyd

Now both should work fine again, but someone needs to verify this.
I dont use apparmor myself on my servers.

Personaly, I advice to use NTPD for the AD-DCs only.
Why, ntp supports all operating modes from RFC 5905, including broadcast, multicast, and manycast server/client.
But if you dont need that, then chrony should be fine also.

Greetz,

Louis