[Samba] Problem to join a windows XP

Rogerio Bettini rogeriobettini at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 23 19:27:21 UTC 2019

Hi,
I'm not able to join a windows XP machine in samba AD DC. This XP machine is a VM.
No problems when joining Windows 10 machines to this DC.

On XP machine, after inserting the Administrator username\password to join the domain, the error message is - error while attempting to join the domain "VIDROESTE.IND": Internal error.
I can see that the XP machine account was created in AD but it is disabled.
In this AD account, there is no information at the "DNS name" property.

All the tests suggested in wiki where successfully executed
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Verifying_DNS

For samba AD-DC, I'm using:
- OpenSuSE Leap 15.0
- no AppArmor or SELinux active
- Samba version is Version 4.7.11-git.153.b36ceaf2235lp150.3.14.1-SUSE-oS15.0-x86_64
- using Bind9

Does someone passed on something similar? Thanks in advance.

My smb.conf is below.
# Global parameters
[global]
dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
bind interfaces only = Yes
interfaces = eth0
netbios name = DC1
realm = VIDROESTE.IND
server string = Suse Leap 15.0
server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
workgroup = VIDROESTE
idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
# Global parameters
[global]
dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
bind interfaces only = Yes
interfaces = eth0
netbios name = DC1
realm = VIDROESTE.IND
server string = Suse Leap 15.0
server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
workgroup = VIDROESTE
idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

#To windows XP
ntlm auth = yes
lanman auth = yes
#log level = 10

[netlogon]
path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/vidroeste.ind/scripts
read only = No

[sysvol]
path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
read only = No ntlm auth = yes