[Samba] winbind offline login - NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER (0xc0000064)

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Apr 19 11:28:49 UTC 2019

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 11:58:23 +0200
Martin Krämer <mk.maddin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
> > I personally would have used 'cache directory =' , see 'man
> > smb.conf' for the difference.
> From description based on man smb.conf I would absolutely agree.
> I have tried and set the "cache directory" option but still
> gencache.tdb (and all other files that were moved) left within
> the /run/samba (lock directory).
> Never the less I tried logging on "offline" after restart but then I
> get same error again.

Without 'gencache.tdb' offline logon will not work, well thats me stuck
on 4.9.x on this computer ;-)

> As visible within my "testpram --verbose" output below interestingly
> the default value in 4.10 for 'cache directory' is already equal to
> 4.9 set to /var/cache/samba.
> So from my point of view it seems that 'gencache.tdb' (and maybe some
> other files) are wrongly defined as 'not required across service
> restarts and can be safely placed on volatile storage' within 4.10.

Don't think this is a Samba problem, after a quick check, I take that
back ;-)

If you check the source for gencache.c you will find this:

-       cache_fname = cache_path(talloc_tos(), "gencache.tdb");
+       cache_fname = lock_path(talloc_tos(), "gencache.tdb");

> Never the less I am of course interested into getting this fixed on
> long term :)
> So how should I proceed?
> Create a bug fix (since as proven this does not seem to be a
> configuration error by me)?
> If yes where should I create it and against which package?

From my understanding (limited as it is when it comes to the 'C' code),
only things in the 'cache' directory are supposed to survive a reboot,
so the thing you need for offline logon, looks like it has been moved
to a directory where it wont.

Rowland