[Samba] Windows clients require reboot once a day in order to access mapped drives

Mason Schmitt mason at ftlcomputing.com
Thu Apr 18 17:49:28 UTC 2019

Hello,

I hope someone has seen this before and knows what's going on.  Given the
time delay between the problem recurring, I'm guessing the issue lies with
Kerberos, but I'm not sure how to verify that or how to resolve the issue.
If you need more info, please let me know.

Problem:
Each morning, windows users are not able to access their mapped drives.
Once they reboot their computers, they are fine for another day.

Configuration:

   - Samba AD DC, running on Ubuntu 18.04, using the stock samba package
   (4.7.6)
   - Samba file server, running on CentOS 7.6, using the stock samba
   package (4.8.3)
   - Mix of windows 7 and windows 10 clients.  Users on both platforms have
   reported this issue

smb.conf on AD DC
--------------------------------

# Global parameters
[global]
        dns forwarder = 10.0.38.1
        netbios name = AD1
        realm = REALM.EXAMPLE.COM
        workgroup = REALM
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

[netlogon]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/realm.example.com/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
        read only = No

krb5.conf on AD DC
------------------------------
[libdefaults]
        default_realm =  REALM.EXAMPLE.COM
        dns_lookup_realm = false
        dns_lookup_kdc = true

smb.conf on file server
----------------------------------

[global]
kerberos method = system keytab
workgroup = REALM
security = ads
realm = REALM.EXAMPLE.COM

# Logging
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
log level = 3

idmap config REALM : range = 2000000-2999999
idmap config REALM : backend = rid
idmap config * : range = 10000-999999
idmap config * : backend = tdb

winbind use default domain = no