[Samba] Is possible use BIND9 as DNS Back End on a new Samba DC?

Igor Sousa igorvolt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 13:08:21 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I have a question: is possible use BIND9 as DNS backend on a new Samba DC
that will join into a domain where there are Samba DCs are using Samba
Internal DNS server?

I know that is a trivial question for someone, but I've followed steps
described on wiki's topic "Joining a Samba DC to an Existing Active
Directory" and in "Preparing the Host for Joining the Domain" section is
said I must finish "BIND9_DLZ DNS Back End" before I start the Samba DC
service. In "BIND9_DLZ DNS Back End", more precisely in "Configuring the
BIND9_DLZ Module" section, it is said to
edit /usr/local/samba/bind-dns/named.conf.

My issue is the /usr/local/samba/bind-dns/named.conf there isn't and the
wiki says file is created during the domain provisioning, join or classic
upgrade. How can I finish "BIND9_DLZ DNS Back End" task if there
isn't /usr/local/samba/bind-dns/named.conf?

Joining a Samba DC to an Existing Active Directory -
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Samba_DC_to_an_Existing_Active_Directory
BIND9 DLZ DNS Back End -
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/BIND9_DLZ_DNS_Back_End

Best regards,