[Samba] samba-backup.sh problems - is the /var/lib/samba/etc folder essential in a Samba installation?

Stephen stephen at ogdenradar.com
Tue Apr 16 14:03:41 UTC 2019

You will find a better script here:
> https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/tree/master/backup-script

Thanks Rowland - i will definitely investigate that.

> However, you really need to upgrade to a later, supported version of
> Samba, Samba supported versions are 4.8.x, 4.9.x and 4.10.x
I am keen to do the upgrade, but also reluctant to build SAMBA from
source myself as I would like Samba to fully integrate with Raspbian
properly - a catch-22 situation. I am hoping the next Raspbian release
will include some updated Samba packages.

Thankfully we should be using mainstream Debian on our fileservers, so a
more up to date Samba version is at least possible there.

Thanks

Stephen Ellwood