[Samba] External Authentication

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Apr 12 19:13:57 UTC 2019

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 11:44:02 -0700
Vex Mage <dosmage at gmail.com> wrote:

> That is correct. I'm not adverse to using AD. I've used real AD in
> many environments in the past and to be honest the Samba4 AD seems to
> work really well. I just need to have all my users from our central
> LDAP. The passwords would need to match so that students, faculty and
> staff can use the existing campus wide tools. Thank you.

The only thing I can think of is to set up Samba as an AD DC and then
write a script to pull the users and groups from the ldap machine,
this should be fairly easy, the stumbling block will probably be the
users password, you would probably need the ldap password to get that.
Once you have the data, the script could create the users and groups
in the Samba AD. You could then use a variant of your script, run by
cron, to update your AD.

Of course, the really easiest way of doing all this would to replace
everything (including the ldap machine) with a new AD domain, but it
sounds like this happening is about likely as finding a snowflake in a
volcano.

Rowland