[Samba] AD migration issues

Praveen Ghimire PGhimire at sundata.com.au
Thu Apr 11 13:46:25 UTC 2019

Hi Rowland,

Thank you for that.

We did the testing in a Vmware VM, the actual production box is hosted in SmartOS. Didn't encounter the issues during testing.

I am pretty sure it is not a group, it is a user. When I check the AD , I see it as  a user. The user with the issue is doesn't have that listed in members of section.

With the idmap stuff, the server in question is both DC and file server. So I thought we need the idmap config

With the ACLs, I read the following Wiki article
If you must use the Samba DC as a fileserver, you should be aware that the auto-enabled acl_xattr virtual file system (VFS) object enables you to only configure shares with Windows access control lists (ACL). Using POSIX ACLs with shares on a Samba DC does not work. However the document mentions not to add it to the config in the DC.

Does it mean, we need to change the share permissions to something like chown root:"Domain Admins" /srv/samba/Demo? Including the sysvol

What about the smb.conf file? Do we leave it with just

We had to roll back (reverted the tbd files and smb conf) due to the issues, we only had a few test machine online during the testing.  Then we found same issues with users in non-AD server. The users had no issue with the shares previously.

Sorry about the long email, has been a long day.

Regards,
Praveen Ghimire