[Samba] chown: changing ownership of 'test': Invalid argument

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Apr 10 09:03:35 UTC 2019

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 10:25:25 +0200
Ian Coetzee <samba at iancoetzee.za.net> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> Please see my replies inline.
> >
> > Possibly, but it could just be down to you not having this line
> > in /etc/pam.d/common-session
> >

> > session    required   pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0022
> >

> I normally add this line through pam-auth-update and a custom file
> under /usr/share/pam-configs/
>
> root at ho-vpn-ctx-ac01:~# cat /usr/share/pam-configs/mkhomedir
> > Name: Create home directory on login
> > Default: no
> > Session-Type: Additional
> > Session-Interactive-Only: yes
> > Session:
> >     optional            pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/
> > umask=0022

I take it from that, you already have it ;-)

> The only user I have is the jeadmin user which is the domain admin as
> well as a local admin user.

ER, no, that would be 'Administrator', is 'jeadmin' a member of
'Administrators', 'Domain Admins' or some other such administration
group ?

> Should I try renaming the local user?

Either that or delete the user from AD or /etc/passwd, you cannot have
the same user in both. The user in /etc/password will normally be used
on the Unix OS before the AD user and will be the opposite way around
on Windows.

Try adding this line to smb.conf:

winbind enum users = yes, restart or reload Samba, then run 'getent
passwd', this should return all users, local and domain.

Once you are sure that all domain users are being returned, remove the
line.

Rowland