[Samba] 'samba-tool domain tombstones expunge' fails to remove expired tombstones

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Apr 9 08:15:33 UTC 2019

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 22:32:04 +0100
miguel medalha via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On a particular DC, running 'samba-tool dbcheck' produces the
> following:
>
>      NOTICE: found 2 expired tombstones, 'samba' will remove them
> daily, 'samba-tool domain tombstones expunge' would do that
> immediately.
>
> When I run 'samba-tool domain tombstones expunge' the following is
> produced:
>
>      Removed 0 objects and 0 links successfully
>
> Running 'samba-tool dbcheck' again shows that the 2 expired
> tombstones are still there.
>
> What should I do to force their removal? This happened after
> upgrading to samba 4.10.x. Reverting to 4.8.11 solves other problems
> (coming from Python 2.6), but not this one.

Did you think to run 'samba-tool domain tombstones expunge --help' ?

Where you would have found this option:

  --tombstone-lifetime=TOMBSTONE_LIFETIME
                        Number of days a tombstone should be preserved for

root at dc4:~# samba-tool dbcheck
Checking 446 objects
NOTE: old (due to rename or delete) DN string component for lastKnownParent in object CN=RID Set\0ADEL:ce97dbc7-eecb-42e7-964a-6c88347f6ba1,CN=Deleted Objects,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com - CN=DC3,CN=Computers,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com
Not fixing old string component
Checked 446 objects (0 errors)
root at dc4:~# samba-tool domain tombstones expunge
Removed 0 objects and 0 links successfully
root at dc4:~# samba-tool domain tombstones expunge --tombstone-lifetime=0
Removed 111 objects and 1 links successfully
root at dc4:~# samba-tool dbcheck
Checking 431 objects
Checked 431 objects (0 errors)
root at dc4:~#

Now '0' might not be quite right for you, but I think you get the
idea ;-)

Rowland