[Samba] "00002020: Operation unavailable without authentication" using python-ldap

Jonathon Reinhart jonathon.reinhart at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 17:45:11 UTC 2019

Interesting, I'm getting the same error using the LDB tools:

ONTHEFIVE\jreinhart-admin at samba-dc3:~$ samba-tool user list -H
ldap://localhost
ERROR(ldb): uncaught exception - LDAP error 1 LDAP_OPERATIONS_ERROR -
 <00002020: Operation unavailable without authentication> <>
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line
177, in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/user.py", line 533,
in run
    attrs=["samaccountname"])

ONTHEFIVE\jreinhart-admin at samba-dc3:~$ ldbsearch -H ldap://localhost -b
'dc=ad,dc=onthefive,dc=com'
search error - LDAP error 1 LDAP_OPERATIONS_ERROR -  <00002020: Operation
unavailable without authentication> <>

Prior to this, I did a fresh kdestroy / kinit.

It happens also on another Linux box. (Not yet "joined", but had a TGT for
jreinhart-admin):

$ ldbsearch -H ldap://samba-dc3.ad.onthefive.com
search error - 00002020: Operation unavailable without authentication

$ kinit Administrator at AD.ONTHEFIVE.COM
Password for Administrator at AD.ONTHEFIVE.COM:
$ ldbsearch -H ldap://samba-dc3.ad.onthefive.com
search error - 00002020: Operation unavailable without authentication

For reference, here is my smb.conf:

# Global parameters
[global]
    dns forwarder = 10.0.1.1
    netbios name = SAMBA-DC3
    realm = AD.ONTHEFIVE.COM
    workgroup = ONTHEFIVE
    # Winbind settings
    idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
    template shell = /bin/bash
    template homedir = /home/%D/%U
    kerberos method = system keytab
    #log level = 10

[netlogon]
    path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/ad.onthefive.com/scripts
    read only = No
[sysvol]
    path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
    read only = No