[Samba] "00002020: Operation unavailable without authentication" using python-ldap

Jonathon Reinhart jonathon.reinhart at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 08:52:38 UTC 2019

Hello,

I'm writing in regards to this issue I opened on GitHub:
https://github.com/python-ldap/python-ldap/issues/275

I am able to successfully use ldapsearch to query my Samba 4.9.4-Debian DC:

ldapsearch -LLL -Y GSSAPI -H ldap://samba-dc.ad.example.com -b
"dc=ad,dc=example,dc=com" "(objectClass=user)" "sAMAccountName"

However, when I try to use python-ldap I get this error:

    00002020: Operation unavailable without authentication

I've traced ldapsearch and python using ltrace, and both seem to be
making the same calls (ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s and
ldap_search_ext) and passing the same parameters.

This feels like a bug in python-ldap, but I've been tracing this for
hours and can't find anything which indicates that. I set my samba
"log level" to 10 and grabbed a snapshot right around this query, but
it's still 1.4M. In there, I do see this:

  ldb: ldb_trace_response: DONE
  error: 1
  msg: Operation unavailable without authentication

Am I missing something? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thank you,
Jonathon