[Samba] Migration to samba4 ad and sync to openldap.

John McMonagle johnm at advocap.org
Thu Apr 4 19:09:18 UTC 2019

I managed to do migration using "classicupgrade".
Doing tests with debian buster 2:4.9.4+dfsg-4.
For the moment using samba internal dns and sub-domain of ad.advocap.org.
Had issue forwarding dns if I used main domain.
When it comes to real production will use bind that I understand better
but don't want to mess with my other dns servers now.

Had a w10 box  join samba4 ad controller so it's a promising start :-)
 From w10 all looks good..
There are a number of rough edges to work out.

It did not migrate a lot of attributes that are in active directory.
The most important one to us is "mail"
Others by ldap account manager names:
User name
First Name
Last Name
I'm sure there are others.

I did full dump of samba4 ldap with ldapsearch and the attributes do not
exist.

They should have been migrate able.
What do I do to migrate the other parameters?

Does the domain administrator account give me access to everything in ldap?

Lam sort of works.
I'm using the domain administrator account to authenticate.
Is that the correct?

The lam site gives very little info on setup.
Followed what I could find.
At the moment just using the using the Windows module for Users and Groups
Users:
LDAP suffix: CN=Users,DC=ad,DC=advocap,DC=org