[Samba] Shared printing between Linux (client) and Windows (server): NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 4 07:57:29 UTC 2019

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 01:37:34 +0300
cloun via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I have a Windows 7 workstation with physically connected printer and
> Linux laptop (Linux Mint 19). They are connected to each other via
> router with internet cord plugged in.
>
> I managed to establish file exchange between them: create a shared
> resource on one computer, then access it from another. But the same
> trick with printer just do not work: as soon as I try to access it
> via network from laptop, it gives me an Access Denied error (if
> accessed from terminal) or requires me to authenticate endlessly (if
> accessed from GUI; any document in print queue gets a `Held for
> Authentication' status if I refuse to enter any credentials.
>
> $ samba --version
> Version 4.7.6-Ubuntu

It should work if you removed all the default and incorrect lines from
your smb.conf.
Try this one:

[global]
     workgroup = local
     security = user
     server string = XXXXXXXXX
     printing = cups
     printcap name = cups
     log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
     max log size = 1000
     passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
     passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
     pam password change = yes
     map to guest = Bad User
     usershare allow guests = yes
     usershare owner only = no

[printers]
     comment = All Printers
     path = /tmp
     printable = yes
     guest ok = yes
     create mask = 0700
     use client driver = yes

[temp]
     read only = no
     path = /home/kotee/tmp
     force user = kotee
     force group = kotee
     guest ok = yes

[print$]
     comment = Printer Drivers
     path = /var/lib/samba/printers

You should also be aware that the Windows user 'Guest' != the Unix
guest user, there is NO connection.

Rowland