[Samba] selftest

Billy Bob billysbobs at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 2 15:48:41 UTC 2019

> On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 21:49:06 +0000 (UTC)
> Billy Bob via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > > While 'make test' is intended to> pass generally, the reference
> > > environment is Ubuntu 14.04 (soon to be> upgraded to 18.04 for the
> > > next release).
> >
> > By "next release," do you mean 4.10.1 or 4.11?
> >
> > Looking also at
> > https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2019-April/222157.html is there
> > concern that 4.10.0 is not production-ready on Ubuntu 18.04?
> >

> No, I just wasn't building Samba into the default prefix
> '/usr/local/samba', so I had to backport various Samba packages from
> 18.10 before it would build. I have no doubt that if I had run
> './configure && make && sudo make install', it would have worked.
>
> The point of the post you referred to, was that RHEL 7.x probably isn't
> production ready for 4.10.0

Rowland,
Three things:
1) would you share your build notes with me (v. 4.10.0 on Ubuntu 18.04)?
2) do you have any insight re: the version expected to have the 'make test' fix (earlier question above directed to Andrew)?
3) can you provide any insights on pros/cons of configuring as default vs. configuring with fhs when building on Ubuntu 18.04? I note (a) with respect to default, your comment regarding Ubuntu still expecting some distro packages and (b) that you and Louis both seem to configure fhs. On the other hand, it seems that there is more to the fhs configuration, e.g. the "backport" requirements. Would appreciate some more in-depth discussion of these particular considerations and concomitant issues (either here or in a further/follow up to you previous answer to https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2019-April/222172.html ).
Thank you, as always