[Samba] Upgrade 4.8 to 4.9 with Backend-Change to lmdb?

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Thu Sep 27 08:12:56 UTC 2018

Hi Rowland,

>>> - Option 1: ( my personal choice, because this keeps thing in sight
>>> )
>>> - ( Domain Member settings and/or Stand-Alone installs )
>>> - Configure smb.conf  ( make sure you have configured the idmap
>>> settings. ) # - You must set a DOMAIN backend configuration, see
>>> below idmap config * : backend = tdb
>>>        idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
>>>
>>> - Domain Member only setting, choose one of these 2, read and
>>> choose. https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_ad
>>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_rid
>>
>> I have always been configuring a tdb backend for builtin users aside
>> from the rfc2307 or rid backend for domain users (like in [1]). In
>> which documentation is it missing this piece of information?
>
> I will turn that on its head ;-)

do as you please as long as it is constructive. :-)

> If you read 'man idmap_tdb', you will find this:
>
>  [global]
>  # "backend = tdb" is redundant here since it is the default
>  idmap config * : backend = tdb
>  idmap config * : range = 1000000-2000000
>
> Which means that you do not have to add the 'backend' line.

one more line for more clarity is not a hefty price to pay. One of the
objective of a tutorial is to help the reader understand what he does!

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Denis
>>
>> [1]
>> https://dev.tranquil.it/wiki/SAMBA_-_Installation_d%27un_nouveau_serveur_de_fichiers_Samba4#Configuration_smb.conf
>
> Your wiki page needs updating, all supported Samba versions now use a
> slightly different 'ad' setup and I wish I knew who thought it was good
> idea to recommend putting the '*' domain above the 'DOMAIN' domain.

Well, sorry to disappoint you but that wiki configuration does work with
current Samba version. And it does not matter to have the "catchall"
idmap configuration above or under the domain idmap configuration.

Cheers,

Denis

PS : by the way I am wondering what fantastic job you have that allows
you to spend so much time on the mailing list :-) ? I'm sure doing Samba
mailing list posting all day long does not "put butter in the spinach"
(like we frogs say here) !

--
Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems