[Samba] Upgrade 4.8 to 4.9 with Backend-Change to lmdb?

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Wed Sep 26 17:04:05 UTC 2018

Hi Oliver,

> are there preparations for upgrading a samba 4.8.5 to 4.9.1 via
> van-belle-repository to change the backend db? Is there some handwork
> necessary?

it is not possible to do an inplace upgrade going from TDB to LMDB. In
order to upgrade, you have to join a new server using the
--backend-store=mdb option. I've done some extensive stress testing on
LMDB DC in lab environment and it works pretty well.

By default samba-tool is still doing TDB provising, but I hope it will
switch to default on LMDB with the next major release, because it is
really a great piece of work that has been done here by Andrew and his team!

Cheers,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon