[Samba] Corrupted sam.ldb

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Sep 25 17:32:45 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-09-25 at 15:38 +0000, Torin Woltjer via samba wrote:
> sam.ldb on a domain seems corrupted. A fresh domain works fine so
> samba itself seems fine. Running the command, sudo ldbsearch -H
> sam.ldb '(objectclass=computer)' dn returns a slew of errors. http://
> paste.opensuse.org/view/simple/61443635

This is indeed a corrupt TDB.

> I need the data out of this as the server it's from is supposed to be
> production. Is there a way to either repair it or recover any
> portions of it into a new sam.ldb? I'm open to suggestions.

There is a utility ldbdump that has a '-e' mode matching the tdbdump it
is based on.  It can help you recover some of the lost objects, to then
start to slow process of putting your domain back together.

Run that on each backend file and the main sam.ldb.

These are not complete instructions, you will then have to rebuild a
not corrupt DB with the same parameters and re-insert the records
(carefully).  As it is from production I would recommend professional
help.

Andrew Bartlett