[Samba] Linux multiple member server

Robert Wooden bob at donelsontrophy.com
Tue Sep 25 14:36:59 UTC 2018

So, one question at a time.

Best practice would be for all the member servers to be the same "ad" or
"rid" setting?

Second question. (You mentioned new to old.)

If moving data files *from* old ("ad") member server to new ("rid") member
server with ranges as you suggested would correct my strange ranges?

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 7:15 AM, Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 06:31:46 -0500
> Robert Wooden <bob at donelsontrophy.com> wrote:
>
> > Rowland,
> >
> > Sorry, now I am really confused . . . I thought users were suppose to
> > maintain the same ranges on all the member servers?
>
> Sorry, it wasn't my intention to confuse you ;-)
>
> Lets start with, never change the ranges on an existing Unix domain
> member, unless you are just raising the upper number in the 'Domain'
> range e.g.
>
> Change:
>
> idmap config SAMDOM : range = 10000-40000

> idmap config SAMDOM : range = 10000-50000
>
> If you use the 'ad' backend, then you MUST use the same 'idmap config'
> block on all Unix domain members.
>
> If you use the 'rid' backend, then the numeric ID's are local and can
> be different on each Unix domain member. You must remember that the
> 'rid' backend calculates user & group ID's from the Windows RID and
> every 'ID' will be unique
>
> If you set up a new 'rid' based Unix domain member, you can use the
> 'idmap config' I suggested and you will be able to copy files from
> this domain member to one of your older domain members and the
> ownership will remain the same.
>
> I hope this clears up the confusing, if not, just ask.
>
> Rowland
>

> --

Thank you.

Bob Wooden