[Samba] Linux multiple member server

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Sep 25 12:15:17 UTC 2018

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 06:31:46 -0500
Robert Wooden <bob at donelsontrophy.com> wrote:

> Rowland,
>
> Sorry, now I am really confused . . . I thought users were suppose to
> maintain the same ranges on all the member servers?

Sorry, it wasn't my intention to confuse you ;-)

Lets start with, never change the ranges on an existing Unix domain
member, unless you are just raising the upper number in the 'Domain'
range e.g.

Change:

idmap config SAMDOM : range = 10000-40000

idmap config SAMDOM : range = 10000-50000

If you use the 'ad' backend, then you MUST use the same 'idmap config'
block on all Unix domain members.

If you use the 'rid' backend, then the numeric ID's are local and can
be different on each Unix domain member. You must remember that the
'rid' backend calculates user & group ID's from the Windows RID and
every 'ID' will be unique

If you set up a new 'rid' based Unix domain member, you can use the
'idmap config' I suggested and you will be able to copy files from
this domain member to one of your older domain members and the
ownership will remain the same.

I hope this clears up the confusing, if not, just ask.

Rowland