[Samba] DM: samba 4.5 -> 4.8, guest access and machine account access troubles.

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Mon Sep 24 15:33:47 UTC 2018

Mandi! L.P.H. van Belle via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

> I hope this helps you understanding your problem a bit more.
> See also:
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/access-control/local-accounts

No, wait. I'm probably mixed up too many things, and maked a lot of
confusion. Restart.

Say may domain is 'LNFFVG', and my windows 7 box is 'DOMINIQUE'.

Before upgrading my domain members to samba 4.8 (from 4.5) i can access
a 'guest' share using DOMINIQUE\Administrator user without trouble.
Probably (and correctly, for my point of view) domain member does not
find 'DOMINIQUE\Administrator' user, and so map it to guest. Bingo.

After upgrading to 4.8, i've found that i cannot anymore 'guest access'
the share, seems because the domain member server maps
'DOMINIQUE\Administrator' to 'root' (as i'm expecting it will do, but
for 'LNFFVG\Administrator', a very different user ;) and, clearly,
credentials does not match).

NOTE that, for other non-guest-access user shares i try an access with
'DOMINIQUE\Administrator', windows explorer ask me credentials, as
expected.

I don't want to alter the default 'Administrator' and 'guest' user on
my workstation, nor do something strange client side... i simply need
to restore old behaviour (or, speaking better: understand why mapping
changed from 4.5 ot 4.8...) to have 'DOMINIQUE\Administrator' be mapped
to guest.