[Samba] List of Expired Accounts?

Bill Baird Bill.Baird at phoenixmi.com
Mon Sep 24 14:30:05 UTC 2018

Scratch that. Spent a little more time on this, and got my NT4 pdbedit
script for expired accounts working! I'm still working on a script for
email alerts to users about expiring account. If anyone is interested, here
is my script. I need this for compliance reasons, since we need to disable
expired account and have a documented process for re-enabling.

It outputs an email like this:

*Searching for expired accounts...*
*username / password last set / disabled*

*username1 / Tue, 26 Jun 2018 13:26:02 UTC*
*username2 / Mon, 14 May 2018 14:32:44 UTC / DISABLED*
*username3 / Tue, 13 Feb 2018 19:50:30 UTC / DISABLED*
*username4 / Thu, 31 May 2018 13:30:09 UTC*

I run this as a cron job, so I put things in a shell script & perl script.
In the shell script, make sure to properly set the location of your pdbedit
tool, perl script and to/from email addresses. System must be configured so
the "mail" command works...otherwise you might need some configuration
there.

*pdb-expired-ad.sh *
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/samba/bin/pdbedit -Lv | /usr/bin/perl pdb-expired-ad.pl |
/bin/mail -r xxx at xxx.com -s "Expired Accounts" xxx at xxx.com

*pdb-expired-ad.pl <http://pdb-expired-ad.pl>*
#!/usr/bin/perl

use Date::Parse;
$now = time();
$now = $now - (7776000); #current time minus 90 days in seconds, which is
our max password age

print "Searching for expired accounts...\n";
print "username / password last set / disabled\n\n";

while (<>)
{
    if (/Unix username:\s*(.*)/) #get username
    {
        $username = $1;
        $disabled = 0;
        $machine = 0;
        $service = 0;
    }
    if (/Account Flags:\s*\[.*W.*\s*\](.*)/) #ignore if computer account
    {
        $machine = 1;
    }
    if (/Account Flags:\s*\[.*X.*\s*\](.*)/) #ignore if set for no password
expiration
    {
        $service = 1;
    }
    if (/Account Flags:\s*\[.*D.*\s*\](.*)/) #set variable if account is
disabled
    {
        $disabled = 1;
    }
    if (/Password last set:\s*(.*)/) #get password last set date and
convert it. output username if set more than xx days (set at top). if
disabled, output DISABLED
    {
        $expiry = $1;
        $change = str2time($expiry);
        if ( ( ($service != 1 && ($machine != 1)) && $expiry !~ /^never/)
&& $change <= $now)
        {
                print "$username / $expiry";
                if($disabled == 1)
                {
                        print " / DISABLED\n";
                }
                else
                {
                        print "\n";
                }
        }
    }
}

--
*Bill Baird*
Chief Technology Officer
*To create an IT ticket, please email itsupport at phoenixmi.com
<itsupport at phoenixmi.com> or call 845-943-4222.*

This electronic message, including its attachments (if any), is
CONFIDENTIAL and may contain PROPRIETARY or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED information.
use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, its attachments,
or any of the information included therein, is unauthorized and strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender by reply e-mail and permanently delete this message and
its attachments, along with any copies thereof.