[Samba] DM: samba 4.5 -> 4.8, guest access and machine account access troubles.

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Sep 24 10:21:55 UTC 2018

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 11:44:09 +0200
Marco Gaiarin via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I've just upgraded my DM from samba 4.5 to 4.8, using luois repos
> (also, debian jessie -> stretch).
>
> I'm experimenting some troubles on some shares, seems that both guest
> access and 'machine account' access does not work.
>
> The share is rather simple:
>
>  [wpkg]
> 	browseable = No
> 	comment = WPKG Automated Software Deploying System
> 	force create mode = 0664
> 	force directory mode = 02775
> 	guest ok = Yes
> 	path = /srv/samba/wpkg
> 	wide links = Yes
>

> I've got two troubles.
>

> a) seems there's no more a guest access on the share. EG, if i use the
> loca administrator user to access the share, i got 'access denied'.
> Logs say:
>
> clearly, i've on [globals] 'map to guest = Bad User'.

That is how it is supposed to work, if a known user tries to use a
wrong password, the user is rejected. If the user is unknown, it is
mapped to the guest user (usually 'nobody') and allowed access to
shares where 'guest ok = yes' is set.

> b) most of the WPKG scripts access the share with the SYSTEM users,
> eg, using the machine account; seems this does not work anymore, even
> if users seems mapped correctly and share permissione have permission
> to 'everyone' set.

Not sure about this, perhaps it is the same reason as above, but we
need more info, what is in the [global] section of the smb.conf ?

Rowland