[Samba] Linux multiple member server

Robert Wooden bob at donelsontrophy.com
Sun Sep 23 20:31:06 UTC 2018

Good to hear I was correct about all members having same ranges.

Now, I have had this idmap sequence order for years in my smb.conf files
and have copy pasted always moving forward.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding you but, your saying invert them, listing
the SAMDOM first followed by the "*"?

like this example?

idmap config SAMDOM : backend = rid
idmap config SAMDOM : range = 10000-40000
idmap config * : backend = tdb
idmap config * : range = 50001-80000

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 2:27 PM, Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 14:10:59 -0500
> Robert Wooden via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > When there are multiple (two in my case) member servers on the same
> > domain, should the following be the same values across all member
> > servers?
> >
> >     idmap config * : backend = tdb
> >     idmap config * : range = 50001-80000   << same value on all member
> > servers
> >     idmap config SAMDOM : backend = rid   << same value on all member
> > servers
> >     idmap config SAMDOM : range = 10000-40000   << same value on all
> > member servers
> >
> > As I read the wiki pages, I believe I am understanding this correctly?
> >

> It wouldn't matter if there were 222 Unix domain members, as long as you
> use exactly the same smb.conf on all of them, you will get the same
> ID's on all of them (hint, do not set 'netbios name' in any of them).
>
> I know most examples show setting the '*' domain above the 'DOMAIN',
> but there is a problem with this, what happens when you get to (in your
> case) user 50001 ??
>
> Rowland
>

> --

Thank you.