[Samba] startup script for debian missing

Klaus Hartnegg hartnegg at gmx.de
Sun Sep 23 17:09:43 UTC 2018

Hi,

I want to run samba (compiled from source) in Devuan 2 (like Debian but
without SystemD).

The start scrip from the wiki page does not exist
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Managing_the_Samba_AD_DC_Service_Using_an_Init_Script
https://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb...
-> Not Found (The requested URL /gitweb/ was not found on this server)

So I installed the default samba package from Debian, copied
/etc/init.d/samba-ad-dc, and then uninstalled samba again (because it is
a very old version).
Then I updated the paths in that script:
/usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf
/var/lib/samba/private/tls/key.pem
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba
/usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool

However the command "chkconfig samba-ad-dc enable" fails (command not
found). With other commands suggested from variouos web pages I got lots
of errors like "insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (empty) of
script `samba-ad-dc' overrides LSB defaults (2 3 4 5)."

Finally found this solution:
update-rc.d samba-ad-dc remove
update-rc.d samba-ad-dc defaults

Now it works.

I hope somebody finds time to update the web page, otherwise it is now
at least documented here.

regards,
Klaus