[Samba] Heterogeneous mix OS smb share home redirection

Robert Wooden bob at donelsontrophy.com
Fri Sep 21 11:53:24 UTC 2018

I have been reading every article I can find to determine how to share home
directory redirection across multiple OS workstations.

The end result I am looking for is to store user home directory on a member
server and allow (in my case) Windows and Linux (Ubuntu in my case)
workstations to access their home directory in a single sign (to any OS)
situation. (On Ubuntu, leaning toward using winbind authentication. Yes,
sssd works but sssd is more a redhat based option, not that it does not
work with Ubuntu.)

I have been doing "folder redirection" of Windows workstations for years
with roaming profiles using GPO policies.

Yes, Centrify and PBIS are viable options but, (again, in my case) I would
prefer to use generally available linux OS solutions.

Comes my question, is it a good or bad idea to share home directory in this
heterogeneous workstation mix?

And question two, how are others doing this?

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Bob Wooden