[Samba] Migration samba 3 to 4

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Sep 19 14:52:27 UTC 2018

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 11:20:39 +0200
Philippe Maladjian via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for several days but I do not spend my days :)
>
> If I create a new domain on the new AD, I will necessarily have a new
> SID so I would have to go to each machine to get them out of the
> domain and join them again?

I am loosing the plot here, I seem to remember that you didn't want to
run the classicupgrade as it is supposed to be run, you wanted to
change things.

You can either upgrade your existing NT4-style domain (as is) to an AD
domain, or you can create a new domain (as you want it) and port your
users and groups to it.

The first way means your users and computers shouldn't notice any
difference, the second means you will have to join your computers to
the new domain.

It is also probable that if you do get your way to work, you will have
to rejoin the computers.

Rowland