[Samba] 4.6.16 on CentOS 6: network browsing doesn't work

Tom Yates madhatter at teaparty.net
Tue Sep 18 11:22:02 UTC 2018

I've got a Samba DC installation that doesn't show a browse list to any
clients on the network, which means point-and-click navigation of the
network doesn't work.  File sharing works just fine, as does joining
computers to the domain, login authentication, etc.  It's just the ability
to browse lists of other machines on the network that doesn't work:
clients see nothing.

This serverfault question [1] purports to shed some light on the issue,
and comparing output with another S4 site I have (4.0.7 (sorry) on CentOS
6) does give slightly odd results:

badsite% /usr/local/samba/bin/smbtree -N
(no output)

othersite% /usr/local/samba/bin/smbtree -N
WIND
         \\WIN7-7
         \\WIN7-5
         \\WIN7-2
         \\WIN7-1

the manpage on smbtree does suggest that it's related to "Network
Neighbourhood"-style lists of machines, so I'm hoping this line of
enquiry isn't insane.  But I don't know where to go next in trying to work
out why I see no other machines.

Any pointers would be most gratefully received.

--

   Tom Yates  -  http://www.teaparty.net

[1] https://serverfault.com/q/160396/55514