[Samba] smbclient for SCO OpenServer 5.0.7

Kevin R. Bulgrien kevinb at systemsdesignusa.com
Mon Sep 17 20:47:03 UTC 2018

> > I am certainly willing to attempt to share patches and the procedure
> > followed if there are suggestions on a reasonable venue-maybe a VCS
> > branch somewhere.
>
> I'm always interested in seeing Samba get built for old/exotic
> architechures and platforms - however 3.6.x is *way* out of
> support, so there's no chance this patch could get merged.
>
> If you want to make it useful for others, you could always log
> a bug (which you or we will mark as WONTFIX due to the age of
> the code) and then upload your patch file as an attachment.
>
> At lease then we have a record of your achievement that you
> can point people having similar issues at !

To provide some closure for this thread, a github fork of the samba project
now exists that can be used to reproduce building smbclient on the SCO
OpenServer 5.0.7 platform:

https://github.com/kbulgrien/smbclient-3.6.26-sco3.2v5.0.7

I think this may be better than making a patch (for various reasons).

The fork has smbclient in its name so it is more clear it is not meant for
compiling anything other than smbclient even though it is a fork of the
whole project.

The fork is set to default to the v3-6-stable branch, and my changes were
committed there.

A document was added to describe the project, clearly detail my changes as
licensed under the same one the samba project uses - and documents license
compatibility of third-party sources I drew from.   It also describes the
build system configuration and details how to reproduce the build:

https://github.com/kbulgrien/smbclient-3.6.26-sco3.2v5.0.7/blob/v3-6-stable/README.sco3.2v5.0.7

Cheers...

--
Kevin R. Bulgrien