[Samba] Python 2.6 errors with Samba 4.9

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Sep 16 15:36:46 UTC 2018

Samba's declared minimum python version in 2.6, and we have in the past
made great efforts to continue to support Python 2.6.

However, Python 2.6 is very old, and neither developers nor our CI
infrastructure (Ubuntu 14.04) runs it, so things like this happen
without us noticing the consequences.

Sadly this isn't the first major release we had made that contained
such an incompatibility.

So, while this is likely to be fixed in a patch version, the next major
version of Samba will likely formally require Python 2.7, or if I can
get consensus, 3.6.  (As the whole Python2 suite is going unsupported
in less than two years).

Andrew Bartlett