[Samba] Fwd: Having problem with RID backend - must be missing something

Rich Webb rwebb at zylatech.com
Sat Sep 15 17:08:20 UTC 2018

----- On Sep 15, 2018, at 4:32 AM, Rowland Penny via samba samba at lists.samba.org wrote:

> Including modifying /etc/nsswitch.conf ?

Yep.

>> Yes, that is how I did it - I compiled from source.
>
> Exactly as per the Samba wiki using Heimdal instead of MIT ?

Yes - I followed this article:  https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source

I really would prefer to use an RPM build but there doesn't seem to be any well maintained ones other than SerNet which has decided to charge for their RPMs now.  I had thought about seeing if someone wanted to help create an RPM build for CentOS 7 so it would eliminate the need to compile from source to get an AD DC.  I have never taken on such an endeavor but the experience would probably be well worthwhile and final product rewarding :)

If you're wondering why I don't use a Debian based build such as Ubuntu the reason is that I have been burned by their update system too many times.  Yum (on CentOS) just always works no matter how old your server gets.  It seems like whenever I used Ubuntu if it got sufficiently out of date apt failed to bring it up to date listing all kinds of dependency problems - yeah yeah I know keep your system up to date but sometimes things fall behind.  A package manager should always be able to update without issue to whatever is current no matter how old the system.  I have just had much better luck with CentOS in that regard.

Rich