[Samba] Network Meltdown after Samba 4.9.0 Upgrade

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Sep 15 12:39:02 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-09-15 at 10:37 +0100, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 04:02:29 -0500
> "David C. Rankin via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

> > On 09/15/2018 03:40 AM, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > >

> > > It is undoubtedly for a 'standalone server', so why does it also
> > > have the line 'domain master = Yes' ??
> > > It cannot be both, I would suggest removing this line.
> > >
> > > Rowland
> > >

> > Rowland,
> >
> >   domain master=yes used to be standard for stand-alone to cause
> > nmbd
> > claim a special domain specific NetBIOS name as a domain master
> > browser (based on the os level/preferred master election rules)
> >
> >   man smb.conf does not mention any discontinuation for use in
> > stand-alone mode. Should it not be used any longer in that role, or
> > is it a matter of network scale?
> >
> Things have changed, you should allow the domain/workgroup to set its
> own master especially if there is a PDC or DC in the mix.

Rowland,

The purpose of the 'domain master' parameter is as David describes, to
configure exactly this mode.

It is not in conflict with 'server role = standalone server', the
parameters are intended to allow this, which is why the default for
'domain master' is 'auto'.

I hope this clarifies things,

Andrew Bartlett