[Samba] Fwd: Having problem with RID backend - must be missing something

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Sep 15 08:32:33 UTC 2018

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 18:50:02 -0400 (EDT)
Rich Webb via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> ----- On Sep 14, 2018, at 11:29 AM, Rowland Penny via samba
> samba at lists.samba.org wrote:
>
> > Perhaps I need to add a note about sssd.
>
> Not sure what sssd is - I will research.

sssd is red-hats take on winbind (it actually uses some of the winbind
code), but it does more (not that it needs to)

> > Okay, can only speak for debian, but you need the glue that connects
> > Samba to nsswitch (a link to how to set this up was on the domain
> > member page, but it wasn't obvious, hopefully it is now), see here:
> >
> > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Libnss_winbind_Links
> >

> Yes, I didn't mention it but I did do this step

Including modifying /etc/nsswitch.conf ?

> > Do you have sssd installed, if so, make a decision, do you want too
> > use winbind or sssd ?
> >
> > If sssd, stop using winbind and ignore the link above.
> > If winbind (which I suggest), stop using sssd
> >

> I do not know the difference - I believe I'm using winbind now with
> the Rid backend.

You would know, if you are sssd in the same way as the winbind 'rid'
backend, you will get very large ID's

> > There is a problem with using Centos as the base OS, you must
> > compile Samba, the default OS Samba packages cannot be used to
> > create a DC
>
> Yes, that is how I did it - I compiled from source.

Exactly as per the Samba wiki using Heimdal instead of MIT ?

Rowland