[Samba] Extending the AD schema - Cannot see attributes in RSAT

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 14 19:36:06 UTC 2018

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 15:50:58 -0300
Vladimir via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> *Thanks for you help, *Rowland
> >Gosa is old and I am not sure it is maintained any more, but there
> >is a fork available: fusion directory.
>
> I know it is old, but as we decided to migrate from goSA, we are
> trying to migrate directly to samba 4, and as far as I know fusion
> directory does not support samba 4.

As I have never used either, fusion directory was just a suggestion,
there are other similar programs available, LAM for instance.

> >Not as far as I am aware, ADUC was written around Active Directory
> >and I doubt Microsoft really cares about any other package.
> >You could try using something like zentyal.
> >
> >Rowland
>
> Thanks for the suggestion of the zentyal, but I dont want to change
> all my servers and configuration to a new environment. In fact I
> really just want to add some atributes and being able to change them.
>
> This is possible in Microsoft AD, and they have some documentation
> about
> this:https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/51121.active-directory-how-to-add-custom-attribute-to-schema.aspx
>
> So, Is there something missing on samba 4??
> Or there is something related to some windows GPO property, object or
> something like this???

You certainly can extend the schema on Samba 4 and you can also create
individual classes and attributes, but I don't think you can do it in
the way described on the page you linked to. You cannot run the
VBScript on a Samba DC, so how would you get the OID ?

What I was trying to suggest was, at the same time you upgrade to
Samba AD, it may be a chance to upgrade to a more recent mailserver
etc.

Rowland