[Samba] Having problem with RID backend - must be missing something

Rich Webb rwebb at zylatech.com
Fri Sep 14 14:52:36 UTC 2018

----- On Sep 14, 2018, at 4:56 AM, Rowland Penny via samba samba at lists.samba.org wrote:
> What OS ?
> If it is debian, do you have libpam_krb5 installed ?

It is CentOS 7.  I feel stupid because it was super simple. See Below.

> Having rfc2307 attributes in AD shouldn't affect the way the 'rid'
> backend works.

I was thinking this as well.

> Did you find it easy to understand ?

I thought so but it wasn't working so I didn't know what to think.

> there doesn't seem to be anything really wrong

And there wasn't!

> What packages did you install to make Samba work ?

I didn't use RPMs or any pre-built packages - I downloaded samba-latest.tar.gz and compiled from scratch.  If you're referring to OS specific packages I followed the wiki on package requirements for building samba.  My yum commands to install all the requirements were these:

yum -y groupinstall 'Development Tools'

yum -y install epel-release

yum -y install attr bind-utils docbook-style-xsl krb5-workstation \
       libsemanage-python libxslt perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker \
       perl-Parse-Yapp policycoreutils-python perl-Test-Base \
       python2-crypto gnutls-devel libattr-devel keyutils-libs-devel \
       libacl-devel libaio-devel libblkid-devel libxml2-devel openldap-devel \
       pam-devel popt-devel python-devel readline-devel zlib-devel systemd-devel

So I compiled it with the options to create the systemd service files and it did but I had to move them to the proper location to use them.  First time I tested I manually started the services and forgot about enabling them to run with system startup.  I had made some changes to config files and for some reason unknown right now I rebooted the server.  I had only started the smb and nmb daemons and not winbind.  It doesn't work very well if winbind is not running if you want to use any backend for idmapping.  After enabling all three services and making sure all three were running the RID backend works great as configured.

I will take your advice on the kerberos lines though and take those out.  Not using squid or anything like that.

If you have any suggestions on optimizations I could make on either the file server of the DC that would be great.  My overall goal is I am creating a small business server type solution with vmware and multiple VMs encompassing a domain controller, file server, email server (using Zimbra), backup server, and vpn server (using SoftEther) using all free and open source software.  My plan once I get all the components together is to put together a website detailing the setup so that others can benefit from this solution.  I'm sure there are people looking for Microsoft alternatives that could benefit from having all the steps in one place.

Thanks for your help!
Rich