[Samba] [Announce] Samba 4.9.0 Available for Download

miguel medalha medalist at sapo.pt
Thu Sep 13 16:39:26 UTC 2018

>> If libsystemd-dev is installed Samba will be built with systemd.

Yes, I know. But I still have some machines without systemd and explicitly entering the option in each case makes things clearer for me. Or at least made, some things just remain out of habit. Yes, I suppose that I can now remove it.

>> If you don't set a different prefix, everything ends up in
>> '/usr/local/samba'

I am aware of that. But if you look carefully you will notice that the line I'm using results in the following directories being placed under /usr/local/samba/var:

cache
lib
lock
log
private
run

This does parallel  the Linux FHS more closely and greatly facilitates upgrades. Having all specific/variable data under  ${PREFIX}/etc and  ${PREFIX}/var, I just run a script before "make install" that wipes all samba directories  except those two. This ensures that there are no leftovers from previous versions. If you just overwrite the previous installation, files that are no longer used in the newer versions will remain in place as unnecessary cluter.

As a matter of fact, I think that the above should be the default hierarchy for Samba directories, but I never dared to propose it...