[Samba] Is CIFS HA Aware ?

Shaun Glass shaunglass at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 07:06:53 UTC 2018

Good Day,

We use a lot of DFS Shares (Windows) across our Linux Servers. The DFS
Shares are setup in a Cluster. Over the weekend we did a DR excercise which
included shutting down one of the Servers that hosted the DFS Shares.

What we found is that any Linux Server that had associated itself with the
DFS Server that was shutdown did not try and connect to the remaining
Server that was up.

Is this expected or have we not setup our Linux servers correctly to be
aware that there is alternate server should the one fail ?

An example of the mount from */etc/fstab* :

*//domain.com/ABC/DEF/Software <http://domain.com/ABC/DEF/Software>
/software  cifs
credentials=/etc/samba/credfiles/file,uid=user,gid=group,_netdev 0 0*

Error we get :

*Sep 09 02:15:41 srv006000 kernel: CIFS VFS: Server SERVERNAME has not
responded in 120 seconds. Reconnecting..*.

Please let me know if any other info is required ?

Regards

Shaun