[Samba] schema enhancement recommandation?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Sep 10 17:44:37 UTC 2018

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 19:35:23 +0200
Oliver Rath via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> thank you for your fast answer. More see below.
>
> On 10.09.2018 19:18, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > [..] ERR: Object class violation : "objectclass_attrs: attribute
> >> 'macAddress' on entry 'CN=DEMO-02,CN=Computers,DC=dmiserver,DC=lan'
> >> does not exist in the specified objectclasses!" on DN
> >> CN=DEMO-02,CN=Computers,DC=dmiserver,DC=lan at block before line 13
> >> Add failed after processing 0 records
> >>
> > The possible answer is in the error message. The attribute is
> > actually 'macAddress' and its objectclass is 'ieee802Device', so if
> > you add the objectclass and fix the syntax it may work.
>
> Hmm. Looking with google tells me, that ieee803Device ist part of
> nis.schema, which is already implemented on my ad with --rfc2307 via
> provisioning.
>
> But changing macaddress to
>
> ieee803Device: aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
>
> results in:

> ERR: No such attribute : "objectclass_attrs: attribute 'ieee803Device'
> on entry 'CN=DEMO-03,CN=Computers,DC=dmiserver,DC=lan' was not found
> in the schema!" on DN CN=DEMO-03,CN=Computers,DC=dmiserver,DC=lan at
> block before line 13
> Add failed after processing 0 records
>
> ieee803Device: aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
>
> Any hints? Is there a compact list of supported attributes?
>
> Tfh!
> Oliver

Yes, it will be somewhere on your system, but I think you misunderstood
what I was trying to tell you.

Before you can add an attribute to an object, the object must contain
the 'objectclass' that 'owns' the attribute, so the ldif needs to be:

dn: CN=DEMO-02,CN=Computers,DC=dmiserver,DC=lan
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: user
objectClass: computer
objectClass: ieee802Device
CN: DEMO-02
name: DEMO-02
userAccountControl: 4096
sAMAccountName: DEMO-02$
operatingSystem: Windows 8.1 Professional Volume
operatingSystemVersion: 6.3 (9600)
macAddress: aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff

Rowland