[Samba] Folder Sync for road warriors in a Samba 4.8.x setup?

vincent at cojot.name vincent at cojot.name
Mon Sep 10 16:14:24 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I know this isn't really a Samba question per se but I'm looking for some
samba-related advice.. :)

I have a very small AD DC setup (5 users) and some end-users (read:
teenargers) are now using laptops, which means they don't always have
access to the network shares configured by GPO and Logon scripts from the
Samba servers when they take the laptop to school. (The Samba servers
aren't our fileservers but the shares are hosts on RHEL7 hosts too).

What do people use to make files available offline for road
warriors/students and sync them back to the fileservers when they come
home? Are there known gotchas, do's and dont's? I'd like to avoid using
OneDrive and GDrive. I am currently Wondering if Windows Folder Sync would
work in such a setup. The mobile users are all using Window 10 1803 x64
laptops.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks,

Vincent