[Samba] "missing security tab" and related ACL issues

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Fri Sep 7 09:22:36 UTC 2018

At a customer server (gentoo linux, so far only Samba version 4.7.7) we
tried to use Windows ACLs and failed:

no security tab in Windows ... for local C: yes, not on samba shares

Yes, I followed

and have the vfs module enabled etc

-

Now I consider that the kernel doesn't have the necessary flags set.

I get

# getfattr -n security.NTACL -d  /mnt/MSA2040/smb/IT
/mnt/MSA2040/smb/IT: security.NTACL: Operation not supported

but

# getfacl /mnt/MSA2040/smb/IT
# file: mnt/MSA2040/smb/IT
# owner: ittner
# group: dom�nen-benutzer
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::r-x

-

 From the old kernel config I see these flags unset:

# CONFIG_EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL is not set
# CONFIG_EXT4_FS_SECURITY is not set

So I prepared a new kernel with these 2 flags enabled and will reboot at
2:30pm ... We'll see!

Any other issues I might miss here?