[Samba] Migration samba 3 to 4

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Sep 6 08:47:29 UTC 2018

On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 09:16:05 +0200
Philippe Maladjian via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Le 05/09/2018 à 18:32, Rowland Penny via samba a écrit :

> > If you are going to sanitise an object, please use it everywhere.
> >
> > The upgrade is trying to use ldap2.my.domain
> > in the ldapsearch you use 'dc=domain,dc=fr' from which I would have
> > expected 'ldap2.domain.fr'
> my.domain is the internal dns domain name, it is also used by the
> current samba domain controller and windows station.
>
> domain.fr is the root name of the ldap directory. It was not a good
> idea to have two different names and I think that taking advantage of
> the update to change domain.fr to my.domain is the right time.

Sorry, but you cannot do this, it has been tried before and doesn't
work.

What you can do is use 4.9.0 (when it is released, or use the latest RC
version). Classicupgrade your PDC using its existing domain, add
another DC using 4.9.0, then run the nice new Domain rename tool.
Though this will entail manually renaming any GPO's

Rowland