[Samba] Migration samba 3 to 4

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Sep 4 15:19:47 UTC 2018

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 11:05:10 +0200
Philippe Maladjian via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working on the migration of our samba 3.5 domain controller
> (redhat 5.7) with ldap backend to samba 4.5 on a new server (debian
> 9.5).
>
> On the new server I transferred the smb.conf and all the contents of
> the /var/lib/samba folder to a temporary folder /root/samba3.
>
> To start the migration I use the command:
>
> # samba-tool domain samba3upgrade --dbdir =/root/samba3/ --realm =
> MYDOMAIN.LAN /root/samba3/smb.conf

Have you read this:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_Domain_to_Samba_AD_(Classic_Upgrade)

You are running the wrong command.

You do seem to have problems with your databases though:

Severe DB error, sambaSamAccount can't miss the samba SIDattribute

Can you post the smb.conf you are using for the upgrade.

Rowland