[Samba] authentication performance with 4.7.6 -> 4.7.8 upgrade (was: Re: gencache.tdb size and cache flush)

Peter Eriksson peter at ifm.liu.se
Tue Sep 4 13:13:10 UTC 2018

I’m going to try to upgrade from 4.7.6 to 4.7.7 on one of our servers soon and see if things break or not. With 4.7.6 things are stable at least.

Our file servers are in a Microsoft Windows domain (consisting of 6 Microsoft Windows 2016 AD servers).

The graphs (logarithmic time scale) below are login times from a probe station that times a connect using “smbclient” with a Kerberos ticket and basically just quits directly. It shows five of our Samba servers in one graph (so not so easy to read :-)

Samba 4.7.6 (2018-09-04, right now, around 400-500 users per server):

Samba 4.7.8 (2018-08-29):

The probe software has a 10 seconds timeout so the “spikes” are probably/basically connection attempts that timed out. We probe all servers every minute. The holes in the graphs are 10 hours apart from last reboot (07:00 every day) -17:00, 03:00) and then nobody could connect basically (or the attempts took more than a minute so the whole session was aborted - and thus no data recorded in the RRD databases).

- Peter