[Samba] Read/Write over LAN Possible?

Bee.Lists bee.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 19:04:56 UTC 2018

Hi folks.  Just set up a server, and I put Samba on it for filesharing to my Mac over the LAN.

I’m a little confused as to what to expect from Samba with regards to LAN editing of files.  I open a remote text file in my workstation text editor, but I cannot edit it and save it.  I’m thinking this should be possible, as the Mac space (my workstation) can do that just fine.  I found this:

"One of the cool things that you can do with a Windows box is use an SMB file share as if it were a hard disk on your own machine. The N:drive can look, smell, feel, and act like your own disk space, but it's really disk space on some other computer somewhere else on the network.”

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/SambaIntro.html

My question is this:  Can this be accomplished?  If so, what do I have to read to get this done?  I’m not even sure if this is possible.

Cheers, Bee