[Samba] winbindd crashing -- how to auto-heal?

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Mon Sep 3 16:28:36 UTC 2018

El 3/9/18 a les 17:48, Rowland Penny via samba ha escrit:

>> It doesn't make sense:
>>
>> 1) why should I need to run smbd if I'm not providing cifs services
>> to other computers?
>
> What are you using the computer for then, it surely isn't for
> authentication, that is coming from the DC.

I'm using it for what the winbindd man page says:

"winbindd is a daemon that provides a number of services to the Name
Service Switch capability found in most modern C libraries, to arbitrary
applications via PAM and ntlm_auth and to Samba itself.

Even if winbind is not used for nsswitch, it still provides a service to
smbd, ntlm_auth and the pam_winbind.so PAM module, by managing
connections to domain controllers."

>> 2) why does winbindd work for many days even with smbd not running?
>> Shouldn't it just barf at startup or after a short wait if it really
>> needs smbd?
>
> I am not saying winbind will not run by itself, it just really needs
> 'smbd' to be useful.

Uh? It's perfectly useful by itself to provide the services mentioned in
its manpage.

>> In any case I prefer my plaster instead of running a service that I
>> don't need and could open the server to several vulnerabilities.
>
> Then put up with winbind dying on a regular basis.

That's not because smbd is not running.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007