[Samba] winbindd crashing -- how to auto-heal?

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Mon Sep 3 15:38:58 UTC 2018

El 3/9/18 a les 17:19, Luca Olivetti via samba ha escrit:
> El 3/9/18 a les 17:13, Rowland Penny via samba ha escrit:
>
>> Yes, but it depends on how you run Samba. If you run Samba as a
>> standalone server you only need to run 'smbd', but running 'nmbd' as
>> well would be a good idea.
>>
>> If you run Samba as a PDC or BDC, the same as a standalone server goes.
>>
>> Anything else needs both smbd and winbind running.
>
> It doesn't make sense:
>
> 1) why should I need to run smbd if I'm not providing cifs services to
> other computers?
>
> 2) why does winbindd work for many days even with smbd not running?
> Shouldn't it just barf at startup or after a short wait if it really
> needs smbd?
>
> In any case I prefer my plaster instead of running a service that I
> don't need and could open the server to several vulnerabilities.

The wiki agrees with the manpages:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php?title=Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member#Starting_the_Services

"If you set up file shares or printer services on the domain member,
*additionally* (emphasis mine) start the smbd and nmbd service"

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007